On the frontlines – teaching students; teaching teachers. A source for EdTech tips, tricks, and solutions.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Geeky Trick in Docs

**Update 9/13/14 - I tried this again this last week, and it wasn't working. I will continue testing it out and see if this easter egg is gone**

I couldn't think of a better way to get EdTech Vanguard off the ground than to show you a nice little easter egg  inside Google Docs.

Now, I grew up in the 80's and 90's, so if you're around my age and/or played the original Nintendo, this will bring back some memories. I never had a Nintendo and could only play it at a friend's house, but you bet that I had this code memorized...the infamous Konami Code - or "get 30 lives" in Contra.


It's great that the developers and coders at Google Docs are geeky enough to include this little nugget inside Google Docs.

**Disclaimer: This serves no purpose in an educational setting other than messing with students who choose to go to the bathroom during your class :)**


**Update 8/2/14: Check out this blog for a possible use to teaching Leonardo da Vinci's mirror writing**


Take a look at how it looks in Google Docs. I will blow up the font size so you can see the cursor:


So if you follow the code in the image above, and then it Enter, you'll get a reverse Docs view.  This only impacts the individual's screen and doesn't change anything on a collaborator's screen.

To get back into the normal view, just retype the code and hit enter, and voila, you are back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment